There are very few enterprise budgets for organic crops, particularly for fruit and vegetable crops. We are so excited to announce the release of ten enterprise budgets for organic fruit and vegetable production specific to the Carolinas! We feel these budgets are an important tool in helping producers make decisions about what crops to grow, how much to grow, and how to allocated their resources to meet their production goals.
How to Use these Organic Enterprise Budgets
The budgets have been developed in two formats, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. The ones developed in Microsoft Word, referred to hereafter as Baseline Budgets provide a general overview of the costs (variable and fixed) and returns for growing an acre of that crop on a 10 acre farm.
To use the budgets developed in Microsoft Word:
- Select the budget for the crop you are working interested in.
- Open the file and save it to your computer.
- Sweet Potatoes
- Summer Squash
- Spring Greens
- Spring Cucumber
- Spring Cabbage
- Potatoe (Irish)
- Leaf lettuce
The budgets developed in Microsoft Excel, referred to hereafter as Interactive Budgets, enable users to calculate their own projected costs and returns. This is where you get to develop enterprise budgets specific to your operation.
To use the budgets developed in Microsoft Excel:
- Open the Excel file and select the budget for the crop you are working with from the tabs across the bottom of the screen.
- Enter the numbers for your farm.
- Save your work to your computer.
- All values are locked, other than those entered for “Your Farm $/Ac. “.
DOWNLOAD: CFSA’s Interactive Farm Budgets
Organic Enterprise budgets were created for CFSA by Randy James, PhD. and Kathy Folsom, Ed. and funded through a grant from Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company.
Karen McSwain, CFSA’s Farm Services Director