Over the years, our movement has made gains in federal farm policy that help local food economies and organic farmers prosper. And now political games in Washington, DC are putting those successes in danger. Your voice is needed now.
Congress looks ready to punt on passing a new farm bill this year. What’s at stake?
- Hands-on training and tools for beginning farmers and ranchers.
- Support for cutting-edge organic and sustainable research.
- New infrastructure – like ‘food hubs’ and innovative marketing tools – that helps farmers take advantage of ever-growing demand for local and regional food.
- … and more!
These are the programs in the bill that give farmers – and their allies in your community – the tools to grow and succeed, and to harness economic opportunities across the nation.
Unless Congress takes action, these programs will expire on September 30 and hundreds of millions of dollars for sustainable agriculture, economic development, and beginning farmer support will literally disappear.
We can’t let this happen on our watch.
Help us tell Congress this is unacceptable – take just 5 minutes to call your Representative and Senators today!
The message is simple:
“Don’t walk away from America’s farmers and ranchers. Pass the 2012 Farm Bill and fully fund farm bill programs for beginning farmers, local food, organic agriculture, and rural jobs that expire on September 30 – programs that create jobs in rural communities, help farmers seize market opportunities, and invest in the next generation of farmers.”
The programs at risk include:
- Value-Added Producer Grants
- Organic Agriculture Research & Extension Initiative
- National Organic Certification Cost Share Program
- Organic Production & Market Data Initiatives
- Farmers Market Promotion Program
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program
- Outreach & Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers & Ranchers
- Specialty Crop Research Initiative
These programs have invested tens of millions of dollars in local, organic food and farming in the Carolinas over the last four years. Don’t let Congress make a giant leap backwards.
> Click here to get your Representative and Senators’ contact information.
> Budget Impact of Organic and Local Food Programs in Farm Bill 2012. This helpful chart shows the how much money we lose for local/organic ag programs if they don’t pass a farm bill before Sept. 30.
Your message TODAY matters – thank you for taking action!
Please share this page with your friends on Facebook!