Come Work with Us!
CFSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and people of color.
CFSA Lomax Farm Coordinator
The Lomax Farm Coordinator is a full-time (40 hrs. /week) salaried position with the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA). The Lomax Farm Coordinator is based at the Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm in Concord, NC and is responsible for operational management of programs at the farm.
The Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA) is a member based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that helps people grow and eat local, organic food by advocating for fair farm and food policies, building the systems that organic family farms need to thrive, and educating communities about local, organic farming. We support sustainable farming that is good for consumers, good for farmers and farm workers, and good for the land.
The Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm was created in 2009 for the purpose of training new farmers to ensure the continuation of the agricultural tradition and heritage of Cabarrus County and to help meet the growing demand of the burgeoning local food economy.
The Lomax Farm Coordinator is responsible for supporting farming operations at the Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm including production and non-production areas and will be responsible for the physical assets of the facility. The Lomax Farm Coordinator reports to CFSA’s Lomax Manager and may supervise volunteers.
ADMINSTRATION & OUTREACH (5%):
- Assist with programmatic monitoring to ensure compliance, progress towards objectives and expected results, and work plan and budget adherence.
- Lead tours of Lomax to visitors including students and community members.
FARM OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT (75%)
- Support farming operations including production and non-production areas and maintain the physical assets of the facility.
- Maintain all equipment, land, and buildings including: mowing, weed trimming, field preparation, cultivation of cover crops, small engine repair, and winterization of equipment and irrigation.
- Help train farmers-in-training on the safe and proper use of farm equipment and infrastructure.
- Respond to needs of farmers-in-training and other authorized users of the Lomax Farm.
- Ensure farm and land management and maintenance activities related to farming operations are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure implementation of and compliance with Lomax Farm Organic System Plan, consistent with maintenance of Lomax Farm’s certified organic status.
- Ensure compliance with Standard Operating Procedures developed for Lomax Farm equipment and facilities and prevent unauthorized use of or access to farm equipment and facilities.
- Assist in drafting, communicating, and enforcing new policies and procedures as needed to address farm management and safety issues.
- Coordinate volunteer activities on the farm.
- Assist organizations with a presence at Lomax Farm with land management and production-based needs.
- Assist the Organic Research Coordinator with implementing and maintain research projects and data collection.
TRAINING AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (20%)
- Ensure farmers-in-training apply principles of good hygiene and Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs) in the production, harvest and handling of crops, and apply GAP principles to overall management of Lomax Farm, including availability of restroom facilities and potable water for drinking and post-harvest handling.
- Assist with on-farm, production-based learning opportunities.
- B.S. in a horticultural or agronomic science field AND 3 years of relevant work experience in organic/sustainable agriculture, or 7 years relevant work experience in organic/sustainable agriculture.
- Experience with greenhouse and high tunnel production and operating and maintaining tractors, irrigation systems and other farm tools and equipment.
- Strong familiarity with the National Organic Program regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and to work comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work well within a team and with individuals, both internal and external, from diverse backgrounds.
Salary starts at $36,000 with generous vacation, retirement benefits, as well as a monthly fringe benefit of $360. CFSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and people of color.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume, list of professional references and a cover letter explaining why you want to work to promote local, organic agriculture to firstname.lastname@example.org, include “Lomax Farm Coordinator” in the subject line. You will receive electronic confirmation of your email submission. No calls, please.
Applications are due by February 24, 2017. Resumes are encouraged to be submitted earlier as they will be considered on a rolling basis. The anticipated start date is March 27, 2017.