Come Work with Us!
Sign up for our eNews or become a member to receive the CFSA listserv for the latest job postings!
Communications and Development Director
Applications due March 15, 2014
The Communications and Development Director oversees CFSA’s community engagement staff and programs, including membership, communications and marketing, and fundraising development. The Communications and Development Director will manage a comprehensive community engagement program that increases CFSA’s visibility and influence, advances its mission, and expands support from the community; that ensures CFSA member satisfaction and expands member recruitment, retention and services; and that secures private funding to strengthen organizational infrastructure and programs. Travel is required throughout the Carolinas. The position is based in our Pittsboro, NC headquarters office, supervises staff, and reports to the Executive Director.
Carolina Farm Stewardship Association (CFSA) is a member based 501(c)3 non-profit organization that helps people grow and eat local, organic food by advocating for fair farm and food policies, building the systems that organic family farms need to thrive, and educating communities about local, organic farming. We serve and engage diverse audiences, including farmers, businesses, dedicated local/organic food consumers, and the general public.
- Create and annually refine an integrated communications and marketing strategic plan and tactics that increase awareness and visibility of CFSA programs, and communicate our position as an organization with local, regional and national influence.
- Plan and implement integrated communications, community engagement and marketing strategies that increase: membership; fundraising donations; engagement in CFSA programs and events; and participation in advocacy campaigns.
- Oversee the delivery and enhancement of CFSA’s internet, email, social media, newsletter, printed collateral, press relations, and other communications.
- Sustain and enhance collaborations and relationships with partner organizations that promote engagement in our programs and events and achieve shared goals.
- Develop and implement a strategic direction and annual plans for fundraising that: secures funding for operational sustainability; grows CFSA’s funder base; identifies and engages new donors and volunteer leaders; and strengthens CFSA’s development capability. This includes major gifts, fundraising campaigns, special events, workplace giving, corporate and foundation relations, and planned giving.
- Engage, motivate and enhance the capabilities of the Board of Directors and other volunteer leaders in soliciting funds.
- Direct conference sponsorship efforts, including annual Sustainable Agriculture Conference sponsorships and corporate relationships.
- Collaborate with other staff to identify funding priorities, create gift opportunities, and position the organization to be considered for major funding.
- Travel to cultivate and solicit funders and individual major gift prospects.
- Create and annually refine membership programs and campaigns that substantially expands membership and meets or exceeds members’ expectations for services.
- Sustain and enhance a membership recruitment and renewal process that expands and deepens our membership base and member relationships.
- In collaboration with administrative staff, ensure effective management of CFSA’s membership database, including communications tools, donations, and services to members such as renewals, event registrations, and subscriptions.
- Facilitate access to and promote use of CFSA’s technical assistance services; website and publication resources; renewal and event registration systems; program information and funding opportunities.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree
- 6+ years communications and marketing experience, including website content, social media, web-based marketing, public relations, newsletters, and donor communications
- 3+ years experience leading non-profit communications functions and managing communications staff, including planning and organizing communications projects
- Successful experience collaborating with external communications experts to assess, develop and implement communications strategies
- 3+ years experience in non-profit fundraising, with substantial experience in raising funds from individuals and corporations, including asking for and closing major gifts, annual campaign fundraising, and building and maintaining long-term relationships with major donors, foundations and corporations
- Experience using marketing and communications strategies to enhance fundraising
- Experience coordinating and implementing successful stakeholder campaigns, including effective volunteer engagement
- Proficiency in computer use in a PC environment, including Microsoft applications, WordPress, donor management software
- Familiarity with website development and management, including Facebook, twitter and blogging software, and email newsletter management tools; Familiarity with computer graphics/graphics design programs a plus.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience, education, and/or a passion for sustainable agriculture
- Proven project management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and consistently meet or exceed deadlines and goals
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals
- Excellent planning, budget and analytical skills and ability to work within limited resources
- Must be self-directed, energetic, highly collaborative, organized, attentive to details and enthusiastic
- Be available in off-hours to perform job duties
- Be willing to spend 15-30% of time in travel to meet prospects throughout multi-state service area
Salary commensurate with experience. CFSA offers generous vacation, health and retirement benefits. CFSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and people of color.
To apply, submit a resume, list of professional references and a cover letter explaining why you want to work to promote local, organic agriculture to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2014. No calls, please.