Eastern Triangle Farm Tour Green Adventure Trail – Inside the Raleigh Beltline!

Start your Eastern Triangle Farm Tour, Sept. 17-18 from 1-5 PM with a glimpse of some of Raleigh’s most prominent Urban Agriculture sites. With five stops inside the beltline, this trail offers the perfect afternoon of farm tour fun all within city limits. Or, choose one of these stops to begin your adventure and then head out into the countryside. Mix and match stops from the Green trail with the Orange, Blue, or Red adventure trails for the perfect mash up of the urban/rural farm tour experience.

 

Raleigh City Farm & Endless Sun Produce

Endless Sun Produce

Endless Sun Produce

Raleigh City Farm is on a mission to support new urban farms and farm entrepreneurs to strengthen sustainable, healthy food systems. Learn about how multiple co-located enterprises are growing seasonal veggies, hydroponic lettuces, and culinary herbs for some of Raleigh’s top restaurants. Come see how the farmers at this downtown Raleigh site utilize hoop houses, organic soil amendments, integrated pest management and weed control, water conservation practices, composting, and pollinator and wildlife habitat preservation on this formerly vacant one acre lot.

(Pro tip: buy your ticket in advance at RCF’s neighbor, Standard Foods Grocery and save $5!)

 

Sweet Peas Urban Gardens

Sweet Peas Urban Farm

Sweet Peas Urban Gardens

Did you know that microgreens contain between 4 and 40 times the nutrient density of their full grown relatives?  The team at Sweet Peas believes that urban farming is fundamental to the creation of healthy, sustainable food production for our growing metropolitan society. Visit this urban site to learn about how this urban farm uses recycled filtered water, organic seeds, solar panels, and a 100% cotton based growing medium to grow their unique microgreens. Visitors will tour the high-tech, dense, growing farm in a container, a mushroom log “forest,” an active three-bin compost station, a greenhouse and a traditional family garden. Plus, don’t miss the microgreen growing workshop where you can learn how to grow your own insanely nutritious microgreens at the same time!

 

The Camden Street Learning Garden

Camden Street Learning Garden

Camden Street Learning Garden

The InterFaith Food Shuttle Camden Street Learning Garden is an opportunity to learn about how this community is growing fresh produce and fruit, sustainability practices, composting and even cooking!  Visitors will see 36 community-run growing beds for annual vegetable production, a food forest full of various fruit trees, medicinal herbs and other perennial plants, a 6,000 gallon rain harvesting system, a vermicomposting system and an on- site teaching kitchen and classroom.  Come meet our community gardeners and learn how we are working together with our neighbors to create a more secure, sustainable and just food system in Raleigh!

Passage Home Alpha Garden

Passage Home Alpha Garden

Passage Home Alpha Garden

This community-based resident and youth learning garden utilizes cover cropping, hoop house growing techniques, rich compost and beneficial pollinators to grow food in an urban setting. Visitors will learn about how the Alpha Garden is run by residents of the South Park community, and engaging youth in the community to grow and prepare healthy foods. Plus, see first hand how this Urban farm partners with local restaurant Happy and Hale to grow the greens for their healthy smoothies, and receives food scraps which they use to generate nutrient rich compost for the garden beds!

 

The Well-Fed Community Garden

Well Fed Community Garden

Well Fed Community Garden

Come learn how one of Raleigh’s oldest farm to table restaurants, The Irregardless Cafe, lives up to their commitment to source locally and sustainably produced food. Visit the Well-Fed Garden, where 80% of the produce goes directly into the restaurant, while the other 20% goes to volunteers, neighbors, and community members. See how the team at Well Fed uses hoop houses, organic soil amendments, integrated pest management and weed control, water conservation practices, and a pollinator garden to grow delicious, seasonal vegetables, fruits, herbs and flowers.

 

Ready for this adventure?

register-now-button

Related Articles