Broccoli – Talk about healthy, this guy can’t be beat. Broccoli is packed with nutrients. High in Vitamins A and K, broccoli is also a great detoxifier and helps lower cholesterol. Broccoli freezes well for later use so be sure to stock up for your stir fries and soups.
Green Beans – Last but not definitely not least, green beans are high in Vitamin C, Manganese and Vitamin K, and make a great side dish to any meal. You can cook them up with bacon and onion or make a casserole. Such a versatile little bean packed with flavor. Of course, you won’t want to miss the pumpkins, pears or chestnuts so hold tight, it’s going to be a great fall ya’ll!
Butternut Squash Bake
by: Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 1/2pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in 1-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 8ounces dried extra-wide noodles
- 4tablespoons butter
- 6shallots, chopped
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 18 ounce carton mascarpone cheese
- 3/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2cup fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, snipped
- 1cup panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs or soft bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In bowl toss squash in oil; place in oiled 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Roast, uncovered, 30 minutes, until lightly browned and tender, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside. In same Dutch oven melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add shallots; cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until shallots are tender and butter just begins to brown. Stir in lemon juice.
- Add noodles and squash to shallot mixture. Stir in mascarpone, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, 1/4 cup parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Transfer to greased 2-quart oval gratin dish or baking dish.
- In small saucepan melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; stir in bread crumbs, remaining Parmesan, and parsley. Sprinkle on noodle mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes, until crumbs are golden. Serves 8.
The Produce Box supports more than 70 farmers and 90 artisan food businesses across North Carolina by helping our neighbors in the Triangle, Wilmington, Fayetteville, Charlotte and the Triad eat healthier by delivering weekly CSA boxes to their doors! Sign you up as a new member for Fall and get $10 OFF your first Box!